After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fall Cleaning

We've had mice. 

In the kitchen. 

Ugh. 

We tried everything to save the cost of an exterminator.  They stole the food out of the snap traps without being pinned, they dodged the sticky mats, and they refused to eat the poison.  Enough was enough.  I had a half functioning kitchen.  Silverware was up with the glasses.  The drain tray held the contents of two full drawers.  And a few cabinets were closed and locked to be dealt with when I wasn't so grossed out.  So, the exterminator was called.  I kid you not, the morning the exterminator was to arrive, I noticed that the mice had FINALLY eaten into the little bag of poison.  I didn't even care anymore.  I just wanted them GONE!  At least the exterminator is spraying for bugs at the same time for no additional charge.  And if you've been to my house, you know we have a bug problem.  We've tried to embrace the daddy long legs.  After waiting 2 weeks to make sure there was no additional mouse activity, I started cleaning last night.  I could stand my half functioning kitchen no longer.  Its a SMALL kitchen to begin with and I was DONE digging through my drain tray to find the can opener.  Zac took the big kids shopping for Kian's first birthday present and I got Kian to bed and snapped those yellow gloves on.  I swear those could be used as compression gloves!  And I didn't even mind that my hands were sweating buckets, my kitchen was getting cleaned!  After lots of trashed paper drawer liners, lots of bleach, tons of Lysol, and drying time, I was finally able to get my kitchen back in order.  Nothing like mice to get you Fall cleaning.  By the way, I HATE sticky paper drawer liners.  We have press board cabinets (no I'm not lying) so that stuff NEVER stuck.  For six years, every time I put a cup in the cupboard and pushed it back, the paper would peal up with it.  ****rolls eyes***.  I've been eyeing cork roll but just couldn't justify the price in my beat up little kitchen.  In need of something last night, and not being able to leave the house to go buy anything due to a sleeping baby, I just found something I had a lot of...Birdseye cloth diapers that I once used as burp cloths.  I know, it sounds funny, but they made GREAT drawer liners!  And they somehow feel cleaner than a measly strip of paper.  I don't know why.  Anyways, I was such a happy Mama this morning in my sparkly and put away kitchen that I got right up and made all 3 kids Frog in the Holes for breakfast.  This is saying A LOT as I'm usually the "pour cereal in bowls half asleep" kind of morning Mama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment