After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Monday, June 4, 2012

Citrus Vinegar All Purpose Cleaner

In an earlier post, I mentioned how I was putting all those lemon peels to use by making citrus vinegar cleaner for the house.  A few people asked for the recipe, so here it is.



Ingredients;
  * Citrus peels
  * White vinegar
  * Water

How to make;
1) Cram as many citrus peels into a jar you have on hand.  I keep a mason jar next to our compost bowl in the kitchen.  All other kitchen waste goes in the compost bowl.  Citrus goes into the jar.  Once the jar is full, I go on to step 2.

2) Pour white vinegar over the peels until the jar is very full.  Seal the jar and shake to get out all the air bubbles.  Add more vinegar if needed.

3) Put in a sunny window and let it steep for 2 weeks.

4) After 2 weeks, pour the contents of the jar into a funnel inserted into your spray bottle.  The citrus vinegar will go into the spray bottle, and the peels will stay in the funnel.  Compost peels.  Add enough water to your spray bottle so that the mixture is roughly 1/2 citrus vinegar and 1/2 water.

5) Use on everything. 

It can't get much easier than that.  In fact, I can't believe I got 5 steps out of this simple process.
Hooray for the combined antibacterial power of both vinegar and citrus.
And hooray for a very effective child safe spray so the kids can help out even more!

5 comments:

  1. so do you end up with a citrus scent or does the vinegar still rule like typical vinegar spray?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it still smells like vinegar. :) I don't mind the smell and feel like it goes away quickly, but I know many people who can't stand it. I just love the vinegar and citrus for their cleaning/antibacterial properties.

      Delete
  2. got it...i don't mind the vinegar smell either, but thought if the lemon masked the scent that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Curious, would this work as well if you had other peels...such as lime or orange? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried limes, oranges, and grapefruit and I don't know why, but it didn't work as well. They turned brown and nasty looking in the bottle and the vinegar even smelled a bit like rotten citrus. ???

      Delete