After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cloth Diaper Safe Diaper Rash Treatment

You won't want to use typical diaper rash creams with your cloth diapers.  If the fleece (the fabric against baby's skin) gets coated with cream such as A&D, Desitin, or the like, the diapers will wick moisture and leak.  Basically, these creams create a layer of waterproof substance on the diaper, not allowing moisture to be sucked down into the microfiber inserts.  A few times, if a rash was really bad, I have used a standard cream and then made sure to position the liner just right so that the cream didn't get on the diaper.  I then had to remember to throw out the liner at changing time though.  Honestly, this is not my favorite thing to do as I'm worried Kian will shift in a weird way and the cream will get on the diaper.  My kids have very sensitive skin and get diaper rashes easily, but actually, since switching to cloth, they RARELY have diaper rashes.  These days, I have found that when Kian DOES get a little red, a sprinkling of corn starch does the trick.  I learned this corn starch trick before I had kids when I was a babysitter.  Corn starch is cloth friendly.  My friend who also cloth diapers showed me how to pry the top off a baby powder bottle, dump out the baby powder, and pour the corn starch in there.  That works much better than my previous method of just storing it in a glass spice jar without a shaker lid.  The shaker lid is convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment