After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Monday, September 13, 2010

Teddy Bear Day

According to our Clubhouse Jr. magazine, September 9th was "Teddy Bear Day."  We were busy packing for Felicity's birthday camping trip that day so school was pretty general and I didn't have a full day to devote to fun teddy bear projects.  So today we celebrated Teddy Bear Day with lots of teddy bear school activities.  We drew teddy bears (step by step direction following), colored pictures of teddy bears, ate peanut butter and honey bear sandwiches for lunch, did a gummy bear sorting and tallying activity, read books about bears, and made "Teddy Bear Gorp."  Logan also did some bear worksheets in afternoon school (our more formal school time when Felicity and Kian are napping).  Here are a few pictures from our day.  Our recipe for "Teddy Bear Gorp", which we altered slightly from the recipe in Clubhouse Jr., is below the pics.  Below the recipe is our bear reading list.  I read the first 3 books to the kids while they ate their lunch.  They are our FAVORITE books of all time.  If they're not in your home library, they should be!  A few other books from the list will be read with Daddy at bedtime tonight.  All around, a very fun Teddy Bear day.

I had these gummy bear sorting papers left over from when I was a student teacher.  First the kids colored their sorting pages.....

.....then they colored their tally sheet.

Next they sorted out their cups full of gummy bears.  We counted out each color and I wrote the results on their tally sheets.  This simple lesson incorporated colors, counting, direction following, adding, sorting, the concept of more than and less than, and more.  So easy. 

Math

All their teddy bear work displayed for the kids to show Daddy when he gets home.

Teddy Bear Gorp

Combine in a paper bag;
1 Cup Cheerios
1 Cup Life cereal
1/2 Cup gummy bears
1/2 Cup M&Ms
1/2 Cup raisins
Handful of Honey Wheat pretzel twists

Have child shake the bag until contents are good and mixed. 





Bear Reading List

Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson
Bear Wants More by Karma Wilson
Bear's New Friend by Karma Wilson
God Gave Us You by Lisa Tawn Bergren
You're All My Favorites by Sam McBratney
The Snow Tree by Caroline Repchuk
No Trouble At All by Sally Grindley
Deep in the Forest by Brinton Turkle
We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen
......and any Berenstain Bears books of course

No comments:

Post a Comment