After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Monday, September 13, 2010

Moon Crayons

We did this activity a while ago, but it was fun so I thought I'd post it.  We use My Father's World for our main homeschool curriculum, and the Kindergarten curriculum basically does a letter of the week type plan.  For the week of M, we learned about the moon and its phases.  Our crayon supply had been driving me nuts because we had tons of broken bits and just WAY too many all together.  So Felicity, Logan, and I lined our muffin pan with muffin cups, peeled the paper off the tiny crayon bits (this occupied them for a GOOD long while, allowing me time to do the dishes and clean the kitchen....always nice), and put the crayon bits into the muffin cups.  The kids had fun deciding which bits to put together.  Then we put them in the oven.  I put it on a very low heat.  After a while, we took out the muffin pan and the kids were excited to see the crayons had m/ m/ m/ melted.  We set them on the counter to cool and they were later surprised again when they found them cool and solid.  This made for a great discussion on melting, liquids, solids, etc.  We removed our new crayons from the muffin cups and dubbed them "Moon Crayons" since they reminded Logan and I of full moons.  A perfect M activity!


No comments:

Post a Comment