After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Thursday, September 29, 2011

Peas and Carrots

Gardening friends, what's wrong with my carrots?

I picked them when I thought I was supposed to, when their orange tops were poking up quite a bit out of the dirt.  But they're so stumpy.  I think we have nice good loose soil for them, so I don't think that's the problem.  I guess I could have picked them too early but I thought you're supposed to pick them when you can see their tops out of the soil well.  ???  I didn't thin them as seedlings b/c I just hated plucking out perfectly wonderful little sprouts.  :)  Could that be the problem?

Never the less, I ate them.  I served myself up a bowl of rice with carrots and peas from my garden.  :)  They were a tad more bitter than I'd like, but I did enjoy eating the fruits of my labor.



And of course the bunny girls thought the carrot tops were heavenly.


4 comments:

  1. Your carrots take after the Brown side of the family - short and stumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say a little more time. When I did carrots they stayed in the ground for a good long while. I never thinned mine either and they ended up with two legs but were tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinning is important. There are also two different kinds of seeds. One produces short stumpy carrots and the other long skinny ones. Maybe try different seeds next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is the variety of your carrots. Check out Baker Creek (rareseeds), there are a gazillion varieties of carrots.

    ReplyDelete