After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Sunday, December 19, 2010

Handmade Holiday 2010 Work Weekend

Last weekend my mom and I decided to sew all weekend.  She's making a lot of handmade things too.  So we set up at her house where her long table was soon full of fabric, sewing tools, and sewing machines.  My wonderful husband not only kept the kids busy with movies, toys, and nature walks, but he also made us coffee to get us going in the morning and food to keep us going.  Have I mentioned that he's amazing?  So anyways, here's a quick glimpse of the projects I finished up this last weekend.

These little peg people are for my Lissy.  I had so much fun making them.  Logan saw me making them and requested some for himself.  So that little orange guy on the end is for him and if you know Logan, you'll know that the little orange guy is a perfect fit for him.  These were SOOOO easy to make.  I bought the pegs at Michaels, slapped a few coats of paint on their bodies, drew eyes on with a sharpie, and covered the whole peg in Mod Podge.  For the girls I braided some embroidery thread for hair and stuck it on with hot glue.  I sewed up some pointy gnome hats and glued those on with craft glue.  Done.  Super easy.

This is a "Tickity", which is my own little creation.  I make them for babies.  They make a good first lovie because they're easy to grasp.  They make great teethers too because they are made from washcloths. One of his ears crinkles.  They were both supposed to crinkle but I had issues that I didn't notice until he was all stitched up.  So, he's a bit unique.  : ) 

A few felt monogrammed tree ornaments.

Some wrist pin cushions.  I found a free tutorial for these online which, of course, I now can't find to post here for you.  I'll keep looking. 

These are for that amazing man I mentioned above.  He always complains that we don't have enough dish towels.  I had bought some clearanced fabric that I loved so I adorned some "bar mops" with strips of it.  He won't care what they look like so I used my favorite fabrics, which makes me very happy.  I know this is an odd gift for a grown man, but I'm having trouble with ideas for him.  We don't usually give each other stuff anyways....since the kids came along.  This is just a practical gift with a personal touch that I know he'll appreciate. 

Comfy pants for my kids.  Our house is COLD, and these sew up so fast.  I bought the blizzard fleece for $2.99 a yard on sale!  I couldn't pass that up.  The deer are for Lissy, and I have a matching pair, which will make the pants all the more special for her.  The orange ones are for Logan and though you can't tell, the black sections are dragons, which he loves.  The crazy pair are Kian's.  I was hoping to have scraps from the deer or dragons to make his but didn't so my mom rummaged through her fleece scraps and found just enough of that crazy print for him.  Its a bit wild for me, but they will keep him very warm.  : )  My mom also made each of them a pair for Christmas.  So between pairs made by her in the past years which keep getting handed around in this house, and the 2 pairs we made between us, the kids will be VERY warm around the house this winter. 

12 comments:

  1. loving it all.
    and Z's support, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You were so productive! How fun to have a marathon making session with your mom! Please stop by maya*made and get in touch with me. Congratulations are in order... you won the Art Kits and I'd love to have reCREATE be able to send them out to you!
    Yay!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. All wonderful and inspiring gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much. All were super easy. I've realized that I need to maybe think of putting some tutorials up after the new year.....if I can find the time. And Mayaluna, I've emailed you and am SOOOO excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You have made some great stuff! I especially love your peg people... so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taryn, does your little guy have peg people? My kids all love them. Heck, they loved them before they had clothes, hats, eyes, and hair. But they were so easy to make. Enjoyable too. My kids made each other a few as well which I hope to post soon. Its their Christmas gift to each other. I'm sure your little guy would love a little crew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I saw this (followed a link, after following a link...:-) I'm doing peg people for my little ones and had hoped for my far-more-talented-with-a-paintbrush-than-I-am hubby to paint them - but he's been so busy he hasn't been able to so it's up to me. love using a Sharpie! That, I can handle.
    A question about the hair - is it unbraided on the doll's 'scalp' and sort of spread over the head?? I hadn't planned on 'real' hair - but my 3 yr old will love it.
    Your hubby sounds like a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your gifts are wonderful, what a lovely way to spend a weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Momma, yes, the hair is one single braid spread over the scalp and hotglued on with a dot of glue on the top of its head (which then gets covered up by the hat). These are so easy to make so don't feel hindered! Oh, and just to clarify, the bodies were painted. I only used a sharpie for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your peg people - such adorable little hats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The little people are so sweet and seem really easy for a toddler to play with...I think I have some more crafting coming up in the week to come! thanks for sharing... and great blog!

    ReplyDelete