After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Thursday, October 27, 2011

Waldorf Meets Montessori Sensory Tub

I like a lot of Montessori stuff, but I LOVE Waldorf.  So we tend to lean towards Waldorf stuff, most of the time.  Why?  I love the all natural, nature based feel of Waldorf. 

It came to my attention (hello permanent marker scribbles on the table) that one of my main needs for home school, was a way to keep Kian and Felicity busy while Logan and I worked on his lessons.  I've always done sensory play with the kids, but wanted to kick it up a notch.  I decided to make the two littles some Montessori inspired sensory tubs.  My one hang up was all the plastic stuff people usually put in them.  I know....I'm a freak.  But a box full of plastic trinkets and rice just doesn't thrill me.  Plus, I've really been working on de-plasticising our house for a year now, so I'd honestly have to go out and BUY those plastic trinkets.  No thanks.  So I decided to Waldorf it up.

First, in true Waldorf form, I involved the kids.  We've been studying Fall, especially with Lissy for preschool.  So I asked the kids to review the colors of Fall to me.  We wrote them down and then each child chose a color they wanted to dye their rice.  Logan chose orange, Kian chose yellow, and Felicity chose purple.  Then they dyed their rice (in a not so Waldorf manner, baby steps).
Here's Kian rolling his jar of rice on the carpet, to evenly spread the color.


After the rice dried, I put it in broiling pans I'd bought for Kian and Lissy.  I'd like to have nicer boxes, but I'm just glad they're not plastic.  :)
Then came the fun part.  I threw in a few handfuls of acorns and acorn caps the kids had gathered that day on our nature walk. I also added dried corn kernels we harvested from our yard.  I sent Lissy out to the backyard to find Fall leaves, and those were added too.  I had bought some Indian corn at the store the other day, so I put one in each box.  A spoon, a small cup, and a clothes pin and the boxes were done!
Our Fall sensory box!


Felicity and Kian had so much fun and this kept them busy long enough for Logan and I to really get some work done.  Then after this seat work, they were ready to go outside and swing awhile, again allowing us more work time.  These two have been bickering a lot lately, so this was a VERY wonderful addition to our homeschooling day, especially since the kids helped with every step of the creative process.

Felicity wanted to add her beloved "Bible Men" to her sensory tub.  In sticking with the Fall theme, I asked her to just add the Bible Men who were dressed in Fall colors.
She was a bit sad that the Pink family were not included.
They'll get their chance in the Spring.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Very creative! Sounds like a great time. I bet Logan was a little bummed that he was stuck doing his lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, he was a little. But I was thinking that maybe he could have time with one of their boxes after doing a good job finishing his work. By that time, Kian and Lissy will be done with them for the day anyways.

    ReplyDelete