After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Monday, October 10, 2011

KCWC Day 1

We don't do store bought PJ's here because they're doused in chemicals.  So come winter, I need to make sure we have lots of flannel all around so my three stay cozy.  During the warmer weather, Felicity sleeps in her dresses.  My girl wears dresses 24/7, literally.  My sister gives me props for letting Lissy wear whatever she wants to bed.  I think that's very gracious of my sister considering I just honestly don't care as long as she's warm (or not too hot in the Summer), and, its one less thing to argue about.  For winter, I wanted to make her some nightgowns.  Can you believe my sleeping in dresses girl has never owned a nightgown?  I decided to draft my own pattern to keep it simple and practical.  Its all about speed right now.  I've got to pump out the flannel love fast as its finally starting to cool off.  The boys need pants.  So here's Felicity's first mama made flannel nightgown.



She loves it, and now wants to wear her nightgown 24/7.
I don't think I'll let that happen as much as I did her wants to wear dresses to bed.  The grocery store in a nightgown?  Nope.  :)
Its just a simple A line design with raglan sleeves that sews up super fast.
This was my prototype as I've never drafted a pattern, other than tracing pants, before.  She asked for a tag in the back because she could never tell which way to put it on, so instead, I just added the hedgie patch to the front.  He's cuter than a tag.

More sewing after the kids are in bed.  I have another two nightgowns in the works, each tweaked a bit, and flannel PJ pants galore for Kian.

7 comments:

  1. cute! I made Finn pants out of that hedgehog fabric. I love it so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taryn, I made her a Lazy Days skirt out of it and this was a scrap. I love it too. One of my fav prints. Did it work well for pants? My husband thought it was too boyish a print for a skirt, but I don't think so. I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go mama! Love the nighty (and that red hair). I've got a big pile of flannel that I need to start working with tomorrow for all the same reasons! I love what you said about not caring what she wears to bed, I've always said to my kids "As long as it's seasonally appropriate". Let them have their own style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little gown! I love that print on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet! We also do not do store pj's. I don't even think I had thought about the chemicals, I'm just so anti-cartoon/disney/ect. paraphernalia! It's cheap, it looks junky, and it is just not "warm" - not as in temperature, but as in environment.
    Selah is also ready for a new night gown. I had sewn her a flannel one from vintage flannel last year. And she also is a 24/7 dress wear-er.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with the pattern making!Where do you buy your flannel?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meadow, I have loads of flannel. Between cloth wipes and only using homemade pjs (for the most part) I use a LOT of flannel around here. My sewing friends know we use a lot so if they ever see any at the thrift store, they just pick it up for me. I find some there too, when I can get there. :) I stocked up last year b/c JoAnns was having a super sale on black Friday. I don't have a JoAnns where we live, but we were visiting my husbands family. Our Wal Mart actually carries flannel. Nothing that great, and the cheap pilly stuff, but it works. My friend just destashed 2 yards of beautiful Moda flannel on me and its the lovliest flannel I've ever sewn with. I should be posting Lissy's nightgown out of it tomorrow. Oh, and flannel sheets. When they start wearing down, time to make a few sets of PJ pants out of them. :)

    ReplyDelete