After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall's First Nature Walk

I don't take the kids on many (if any) nature walks around here in the Summer.  Our heat is too unbearable to be out in for very long, especially if you have red head sensitive skin and eyes.  Plus, we live in rattle snake heaven so yeah.....we skip nature walks in the Summer.

We LONG for Fall and our nature walks.  Today, after staying home for a week and a half potty training Kian, I decided to chance it.  Enough was enough.  We must get out!  So I threw together a lunch and out the door we walked.


We ate a picnic lunch overlooking Snake Creek, and then did our science lesson for the day on our picnic blanket.




Energy was then expelled in the old abandoned outdoor kitchen.
I was made a lovely meal of Fall leaves.





After energy was expelled, we dug into our science lesson a bit.  The lesson was on what happens "close to the ground."  Felicity was thrilled at the idea of moles and squirrels possible being in tunnels under our picnic blanket as we read the book.  So she found LOTS of animal holes.  We talked about all the animals in our area that live in holes in the ground.
Our book taught us that "soil is made of lots of tiny pieces of powdered rocks and rotting plants.  Good soil has gaps of air between the particles to allow plant roots to grow."  So we found some dirt clods with plants still intact, and examined how the roots grew down the layers of soil particles.
And, of course, we gathered lots of treasures that lay "close to the ground," such as acorns, acorn caps, leaves, and oak ball pods.  We talked about how these treasures decompose and make new soil, and we stomped leaves to feel them breaking down under our feet as we helped along the process.


There was also some quite time by the creek.  I loved seeing Logan do this as he's a very active boy.  Always going.  I don't mind that, but I often wonder how much rushes past him without him taking notice.  It was neat to see him just sit and think.
There was also a very wet, very stinky, and VERY happy dog!
And there was lots of comparing of treasures.



And I couldn't help but realize what a year changes.  Last fall, this little boy was napping in the stroller under the oaks, while his big sister and brother explored.  Can he really be old enough to walk ahead without me hovering?  Can he really be old enough to very intentionally gather acorns and acorn caps.  Yes, he is.  In fact, he saw his brother and sister identifying deer scat and guess what?....now Kian can very confidently find and identify deer scat....in case you ever need to know.
Oh, and he did great, as far as the toileting business goes.  We were out for hours and well....let's just say his brother gave him his first official pee on a tree lesson.

2 comments: