After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Saturday, October 1, 2011

Two

Today, our baby turned 2.


I look at him and I wonder, "how can this be?"
How can he be big enough to TELL us how old he is?
How can he be big enough to blow out his birthday candles?
How can he be big enough to open his presents all by himself?



Kian has been our easiest baby.  Maybe because he's our third and we have a bit of practice?  Maybe.  But I'd rather give him the credit.  His attitude on life is amazing.  He's always been content to just go with the flow of life around him, always been loving, always been happy, always been a great sleeper, always been quite the comedian, always had that sparkle of wisdom in his eyes, always been joyful, and always been a Mama's boy.
Kian is a joy!
 



Two is a hard birthday for me.  Always a bit bitter sweet.  After three kids, I've learned that this is the age where their babyhood starts to fade away.  Don't get me wrong, I look forward to watching him grow and all he'll learn.  I can't wait to see what a wonderful little boy he will become.  But third time around, I know his true baby days are fleeting.
This little Mama's boy needs me less.  He does things by himself, and he's so pleased!  He tests boundaries to figure out his placement in our family and in this life.  He has started asserting himself, sometimes in anger.  He has been fighting sleep.  We have definitely started disciplining him more. 

As his birthday neared, of course I was so excited for him, but I was a bit sad for myself.  I was thinking about how he needed to snuggle less and how he was requiring more discipline, and I got that bittersweet feeling.  Then, tonight, the night of his birthday, he was AGAIN having a hard time going to sleep.  We struggled with him for a while, putting him back in bed each time he got up.  We thought he had finally gone down so we headed to bed ourselves, but then we heard him up again.  Zac went to get him and all was silent.  Then I heard Zac's deep sleep breathing.  I headed into the living room to find my husband and our newly independent boy snuggled up asleep.


He still needs us.
He still snuggles.
He's still SUCH a joy.

Happy birthday little man.
Thanks for being such a great baby.
I pray you'll be an even greater little boy.



6 comments:

  1. tear...such a nice mama. Happy birthday Kian! I am horrible at remembering but got all caught up on mom's blog. Jenny it looks like you guys had so much fun! Wish we were close to celebrate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww, he still has a little babytime left. or like me, maybe you should think of having another baby :-) i'm not sold on that one yet! happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. It does seem as though he was just born! You are an amazing mama and your kids a amazing kids. Happy birthday Kian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday:) Beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Kian!, my little guy turned two and its amazing the changes that brings. You are there to watch the whole growth thing and you still wonder, how did this happen, how did they get so big. I recently watched a video of a man that has been photographing his daughter every week for 12 years, then put the photos into a video in rapid succession, you can literally watch her grow up before your eyes in minutes. Sometimes it feels like that anyway! At least you have a new little one to look forward to snuggling too :).

    ReplyDelete