After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pumpkin Planting Time

We just got around to planting our pumpkin seeds.  We really should have done it earlier but again.....life.....oh my.  





I had some cow pots sitting around and had saved one cardboard egg carton so we planted our seeds in those.  Since these are for the kids garden, I just let them fill their pots with as many seeds as they wanted.  I figure it'll be very gratifying for them to see lots of sprouts in their little pots.  Logan has LOVED white pumpkins since I can remember.  I mean he was a TINY guy when he saw them for the first time, and he has picked a white pumpkin over traditional orange ones each year at the pumpkin patch.  He was thrilled to find a packet of white pumpkin seeds at the store for our first home grown pumpkin patch.  We also planted traditional jack o lanterns (which I hope to use for cooking), assorted gourds, sunflowers, and holly hock.  It may be too late for the sunflowers but Felicity fell in love with the seed pack at the store because it had a princess on it.  So we're growing late sunflowers.  :)  And Zac loves holly hock and always wants to grow them but for some reason we've never had luck so we're trying again for him.  We're very excited about the gourds!  We grew wonderful ones last year and the kids were so excited and then I accidentally broke the vine at its base while weeding so we never got to enjoy them.  I can't wait for all these kid centered garden fascinations to sprout and grow!

And I have a quick request.  I'm sitting at home these days, too nervous to venture out too far as I await what is to come, so I thought I'd get started on some crafting goals I've put off.  My main one is Felicity's Waldorf doll for her 4th birthday in September.  I have a book, Making Waldorf Dolls by Maricristin Sealey, and have been reading it.  Now I need to buy my wool and other needed materials.  I will purchase all online, I assume, as I don't think anything I need is sold locally.  If you make Waldorf dolls, I'd appreciate any links to where you buy your materials online, and any tips.
Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Jenny, I love the planting, and how the children are so involved!
    I was thinking of you this morning, as I realized you are probably housebound as you wait. I can imagine this is a mixed blessing- a forcing you to peaceful rest but making you feel like an invalid!
    I make waldorf dolls- and my favorite place for supplies is www.achildsdreamcometrue.com
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have been making waldorf dolls for some time, I do love making them, such fun. Childsdreamcometrue has some great stuff, I also like http://weircrafts.com/ a bunch. IF you have questions while you are making feel free to shoot me an email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stoping by my blog the other day. I wrote a quick responce there but wanted to get over here and respond on your blog. Sometimes it helps me to know others are praying for me when I'm struggling with something. I'm glad to see you feel the same way. I have been thinking of you often and when ever I do I tear up and say a prayer for you.

    On a lighter note,making Waldorf dolls is so much fun. My first dolls were not that lovely but I'm glad I kept working on them because I have been really happy with the latest ones I made. Thank you for your compliments. I've bought doll making materials from the same places as Melanie and Angie. For hair I've used different yarns and embroidery floss. I'm not an expert doll maker but I'm willing to TRY and help if you have questions. On the yarn along tomorow I'll be mentioning some clothing I made for the girls' Christmas dolls and share a hand drawn pattern for the dresses I made to go with the sweaters and shoes I knitted. Here are a few blogs that have tuts on Waldorf dolls. http://starrysheep.com/crafty/?p=103

    Starry Sheep also has a list of resourses posted on the blog somewhere.

    http://simmy.typepad.com/echoesofadream/2006/10/basic_instructi.html

    ReplyDelete