After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Nooks Of Our House.......The Play Porch

I love when my blogger friends share the nooks, rooms, and areas of their houses.  It's so neat to see the cozy places people create.  A bit ago, I shared with you the boys' room and today I'll share with you our play porch.

I think it's funny that I'm sharing this space with you.  Its a very unfinished, usually very dirty, weird kind of area of our house.  But I honestly LOVE it because of its practicality.  The play porch is one of our two covered porches.  Its on the side of our house that doesn't get much sun, so this provides a cool place for the kids to play out of the sun in the Summer, and a dry place for the kids to play out of the rain in the Spring.  Yet, they are still outside in the fresh air.  :)
Here's a view looking down the long porch.  The slider on the left leads into our dinning room.  At the end of the porch you can see the "clubhouse" and to the left of the clubhouse is the way to our backyard.

Standing at the clubhouse looking in the opposite direction, you can see that the play porch overlooks our car port and front yard.

The kids have a train table, crawl tunnel, and rocking toys on the play porch.  I have dreams of a hanging swing, painted porch rails, and maybe a climbing rope.  But.....this funny little area is loved and no one is complaining.

The club house gets the most use out here.  It used to be a strange storage area where I stored all the totes of out grown clothes.  I gave up that storage area, moved it all up to my mom's attic (thanks mom!) and gave this little nook over to the kids.

Its pretty small, but just the right size for lots of kids. 
Zac carpeted it and added a little pull string light, which the kids think is the coolest thing.

And what do they do in there?  Why cover it with stickers of course!  Our kids LOVE stickers.  They are given stickers for Christmas, birthdays, Easter, any particular Tuesday when an Aunt comes by....you get the picture.  I used to wonder what a kid could do with so many stickers.  They'd pile them on papers and were never interested in keeping them in a nicely organized sticker book.  When they one day appeared all over my walls and windows, I was about done with stickers.  Then I thought of the club house.  So now when our kids get stickers, they head to the club house to adorn their walls and add to their collection.  They LOVE it!

Just recently I started letting them add graffiti to their club house.  I'm so glad I did because here, on the ceiling, is one of the first times Logan wrote his name.  Its from a while ago and is fading, but I love it!

Its a fun place for the kids to play.  A little place all their own to decorate the way they'd like.....with stickers and graffiti.  :)

Goodbye!

3 comments:

  1. How fun!! What a great space for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, this is awesome! What lucky little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO COOL! We have got to get down there and play!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete