After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Heat

Its 5:30 p.m.

I just woke from a sweaty nap.  Well, "nap" is a gracious word.  I doze off and on while listening to the kids play. 

I did as much as I could again today, which just doesn't feel like enough.  We grocery shopped in the morning when it was still cool (relative term) enough to be out and about, and we got some schooling done.  I had wanted to clean the whole house.  And do more school.  And cook.  Maybe organize a bit, and sew later.  But oh, this heat. 

The heat has sucked away my entire appetite.  All I want to eat is cucumbers and even they, and my beloved lemon water seem bland in the heat.  I try to eat greek yogurt and drink almond milk and put some cheese on my cucumber sourdough sandwiches to get protein in.  But still, I don't seem to have enough energy to push through the day and get it all done.

Other than my garden, I do not like Summer.  I do not like the heat.  But God must be teaching me perseverance because this is my third Summer in 5 years that I have been VERY pregnant through the brunt of our heat.  :)

Today, even the kids longed for Fall.  Felicity wore jeans, and the boys wore long sleeved shirts even though our AC can only keep the house just under 90 degrees with the outside heat blasting down on it.   Today, tired of planets, we learned about our sweet babe in school.  And I edited pictures in black and white because it just looks colder.  And the kids played inside all day....again...because its just too hot to be outside.  They'd fry. 


 We learned that our baby is 15 inches long now, at 30 weeks.
Honestly, that's a lot longer than I thought.
So THAT explains these strong kicks I've been getting!


We cut strips of fabric to 15 inches long and the kids went in search for other things around the house that were as long as baby.  Kian participated too (in fact he was the one who realized his legs were 15 inches long), but I didn't get pics of him b/c he was just in his underwear at the time.  Can you blame him?

Its now 6 p.m.
Its still over 100 degrees outside.
Its 87 degrees in the house, with the AC running full.
The kids are running laps through the living room and dinning room because they need some way to expel their energy.  I'm trying to be patient with the noise level, and us constantly being locked in the hot house, but at many times through the days, we all reach our limits.
Summer, is when we get cabin fever.

Tomorrow will be much of the same.
Perseverance.


2 comments:

  1. What a fun way to learn about babies and inches! Wish I had this idea when our little guy was inside. Maybe I can still use it but instead of the baby growing inside we can measure him every month and compare his size to things around the house. Of course this could backfire. I could see the kids wanting to use their brother instead of fabric strips to measure things:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea!!! I think it would be a great way to learn how to chart/graph too, if you kept tracking his growth. I was going to measure the kids in inches yesterday so we could compare their height to baby, but we didn't get that far. Another day maybe.

      Delete