After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Sunday, August 12, 2012

Free Motion Quilting

Yesterday my friend came over with her fancy machine, and taught me how to free motion quilt!  I've made lots of "quilts" in my life, but never a REAL quilt.  I've never done the whole sandwich layers and binding thing.  All my quilts have soft blankets sewn on the back.  I use the turn and top stitch method to attach the blanket to the pieced front.  But for years, I've wanted to learn how to make a real quilt.  Yay for friends willing to help along the way!

First I practiced free motion quilting on scrap fabric, and once I felt brave enough, I free motion quilted these little taggies I'd made.   By the way, these taggies were stash busters, which I've been trying to do a lot of lately.  I'm LOVING the stash busting concept!

After I finished the taggies, it was time to move on to the REAL quilt.....a quilt I've been working on for WEEKS for a very special, very feisty, very amazing, very beautiful, very loved almost FIVE year old girlie.  For over 6 hours I sat at my friends machine, quilting away.  The AC had been pumping full since 10am, but of course, with the temp outside reaching 110 degrees, the house was just under 90.  And I was covered in a quilt.....for 6 hours!  This morning, I awoke to a sore back, a sore neck, sore fingers, and the joy of Lissy's completed quilt top!  Now to learn how to make my own binding and get started on that and THEN I'll show you a picture.  I'm VERY excited!

And P.S. - this very un-techy Mama cleaned up the computer today.  No more ads or weird links!............I think..........

2 comments:

  1. Very cute. You may also want to check out the tutorials for the 2012 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge as they are very helpful to learn/improve your FMQ skills, and there are oodles of tips too. FMQ is great fun.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    PS - 95 at my home yesterday/no air conditioning either. I'm so looking forward to Fall!

    ReplyDelete