After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Monday, January 23, 2012

Moments From Our Week

***  Posting this late as I was out of town all weekend.  ***

This week was very relaxed.  We started the week with a wonderful family hike at the lake we live near.


We found some neat drift wood houses and had a picnic.

I showed Logan the signs of the lake's drop in water level.

We had a very wet, very dirty, very stinky, and VERY happy dog.
Unfortunately, RIGHT after this swim, Denver's ear got infected again.  We've been battling with his ears for a while.  Guess we found the trigger.  I don't know what this dog will do if he's not allowed to swim.  But his ears just get so bad!  Poor guy.

There was lots of sword fighting, thanks to this purchase from Aunt Miss.  The foam swords didn't survive the week, but I am now intent on making the kids the wood swords I've been wanting to for a while now.

We took many walks down Grammy's LONG, STEEP driveway to visit Papa.  The kids ask to visit Papa every day, and we walk down most afternoons and stay until sunset, when we walk back up the driveway at dusk.



I lost our curriculum.  Yes, lost it.  How does one misplace curriculum?  Well, I transport it between our house (on the weekends) and Grammy's house (during the week while Zac is away).  Anyways, it was so freeing!  If you follow my blog, you'll know that I'm a trained public school teacher fighting with myself because I have unschooling tendencies.  I have to say, I loved misplacing our curriculum and was disappointed tonight when my mom told me where I'd left it.  We worked on word families this week the way WE like to do it.  After finishing the work pictured above, Logan exclaimed "MOM! I LIKED SCHOOL TODAY!".
That, was a victory.
Another victory was that Felicity asked to do school with us and she TOO loved it.  She practiced writing V's and learned about things that started with the V sound.  She did great.

And lastly, this is being posted late because I was off grid all weekend at a womens' retreat.  It was lovely.  I learned a lot, and will hopefully have time this week to reflect on those lessons and post some here.  While there, I took along a curriculum catalog that a friend suggested.  I've looked at the curriculum before and wanted to do it, but have been hindered by the cost.  My friend taught me how to do it for not much at all.  So now I have to decide......do I purchase what would be our THIRD curriculum this year?  Yes, third.  Part of me is embarrassed to admit that.  But you know what?  I refuse to settle.  I refuse for school to be a chore.  If I have to buy five curriculums this year until we find one that is perfect for us, I will.  Yes, I love things about unschooling, and we unschool every day.  But this mama needs a little help to keep things flowing.  So....I've got some thinking and praying to do.

Oh....and as I post this, its raining.  RAINING!!! Finally!
I love Rain.

2 comments:

  1. I love the sling and baby Felicity carries - so sweet!

    We are also thinking of dropping/ refiguring a couple curriculums as school feels like a chore some days and I remind myself that keeping learning natural and fun is why I wan to home school... but, that said, there are some skills (like handwriting) we just have to practice to get... always a tension! Good luck. I'd love to know what curriculums you are looking at as I'm starting to think about next year.

    ReplyDelete