After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wrapping It All Up

Since having a child old enough to hold a marker, I have not bought Christmas wrapping paper (any wrapping paper, come to think of it).  Instead, we use what we have on hand to create personal wrapping each year.  Sometimes I have rolls of brown packing paper on hand.  Brown paper is my favorite.  If I have it on hand, I roll it out on our table or playroom floor, set out markers, crayons, pencils, stamps, etc, and let the kids go at it.  If I don't have brown packing paper, I cut the bottom off brown paper shopping bags and the kids decorate the plain inside.  This year we somehow acquired a HUGE roll of white paper so we've been using that as well as the brown paper bags.  Here's' a list of materials we've used in the past to create beautiful handmade paper;
*watercolors
*markers
*pencils
*pens
*crayons
*finger paint
*Stamp ink (which we stamp fingers, old thread spools, wine corks, and stamps into)
*Glitter glue (we painted it on with brushes and it made beautiful paper!)
*Acrylic paint
*the possibilities are endless!

Here's my two older kids making paper last year.  Look how tiny and cute they were!  Felicity's piggies are so SHORT.  Her hair has grown to the middle of her back in a year.  I can't believe this was only LAST year.  Feels like years ago.

And here they are this year.  I tried including the baby but he consumes everything and thinks crayons and markers are ESPECIALLY tasty, so we did this while he napped.  A good quiet activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment