After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Gnome Story...

Once upon a time, deep in a forest, far away, there was a little gnome village where 5 little gnomes lived in their mushroom houses with their 5 little pets, and tended to their 5 little gardens.

Nagol was the most handsome of all the gnomes.  He was contemplative, sweet, merciful, and tender.  He loved being in the company of the other village gnomes and always had something exciting to talk about.  All the village gnomes loved Nagol for he was uplifting and sensitive to their needs.

His garden was perfectly kept and his flowers grew in perfect straight lines.  He was a firstborn, after all.

Nagol was the "big brother" of the village, watching out for and encouraging everyone, with his trusty dragon at his side.

Sil was Nagol's little sister who lived next door to him.  She was a picture of beauty with the longest braids of all the ladies in the village.

She was a sweet girl, but she couldn't help being jealous of Nagol's garden with his perfectly straight lines of flowers.  Try as she might, her garden always looked a bit more unruly than his.  She couldn't help it though.  Wildness lived inside her and would sometimes leap forth in beautiful ways.  This wildness is what gave her a fondness for her pet rhino, for she could relate with his wildness as well.  She never stayed jealous of Nagol for long because it was HER garden that the village gnomes loved to have adventures in.  Its wildness provided hours of treasure hunting and flower fort building.

Naik lived next door to his big sister, Sil.  He was wise, but goofy.  He was a friend to all and a picture of happiness. 

Naik had the silliest pet of all, an anteater, whom he generously let freely graze in his strawberry patch.  His strawberry patch may look small, but Naik was very wise and didn't grow more than was needed.  One strawberry could feed the whole village and make for a great feast!  He hosted these feasts every time a strawberry was ripe, for he was very giving and loving. 

Near Naik lived Willow.  She was not related to anyone in the village.  No one was quite sure when she even arrived in the village.  Somehow, she seemed to have always just been there.

Willow had a quiet giraffe as a pet and both the giraffe and Willow spent many quiet hours together.  An old tale circulated through the village that Willow and her giraffe talked silently to each other and that is why both spent so many hours quietly next to each other.

Willow grew cherry pies in her garden.  It may seem strange to have a garden producing cherry pie, but that was just Willow.  Something magical always surrounded her and it did not seem odd to the village gnomes for Willow to have a cherry pie garden.  Her cherry pies were more amazing than anything the gnomes had ever tasted and Willow would often silently leave pies on their doorsteps in the middle of the night.

Pippin was the tiniest of all the gnomes.  She was sweet, gentle, delicate, brave, and patient.  She was adored by all the village gnomes who doted on her.

Pippin's garden was the smallest of all, just like her.  In it she lovingly grew flowers that produced sweet nectar for butterflies and bees.  Just as she was always doted on by the other gnomes, she doted on her insect friends, returning the favor.

Don't let Pippin's size fool you.  She had tamed the most wild beast of all for her pet, for she was brave and strong in faith.

Each gnome in the village was different, and each were the same.  They appreciated their differences (most of the time), and leaned on those differences to help their village thrive.  Often times, they took breaks from their gardening and enjoyed lounging on lily pads in their pond together....just enjoying being in each other's company.

To hear more adventures of Nagol, Sil, Naik, Willow, and Pippin, you'll have to come play with Felicity and the new playscape she'll open Christmas morning.

7 comments:

  1. precious.
    i hope there is room for mik the gnome to come stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aha! I wondered if anyone would catch that. :) Mik the gnome is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable - I especially love the fabric you cut the animals from, do you happen to know who made it?

    I'm so glad I've found your blog too and am also passionate about trying to fit our faith into the waldorf ideals we are falling in love with, so I look forward to further conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I just dug through my fabric drawer looking for scraps of the fabric to see if the designers name was in the salvage. I found a little scrap left but the print went all the way to the edge, leaving no salvage at all, so no name on it. ?? Sorry. It is my most favorite fabric I've ever purchased. I got it to make Kian a pair of pants out of. The pants are cut, and still lay waiting to be worked on. By the time I get to them, I'm sure I'll have to add cuffs and an extra waist piece as I'm sure he's now outgrown the size I cut out. lol. I paid too much for it...$10/yard at a fancy fabric place in town. Never done that before but I just loved it. As you can see, I use every bit of scrap from it that I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabric is Alexander Henry 2D Zoo :-)

    Ansley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ansley! I got it at Birch in town. Do you ever get sucked in there? I drooled over everything! Miss you! And Emily, it also comes in shades of blues and greens, which I saw once at a JoAnns.

    ReplyDelete