After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Thursday, March 31, 2011

Kids at Work

The carrot bed is in!!!  Our younger two have been consistently helpful when it comes to all the work we've been doing since starting this urban homestead project.  Logan, however, has had to have a few talkings to about how the whole family pitches in so that the whole family can enjoy the fruits of our labor.  So it was nice to see him helping Zac with the carrot bed.



Felicity loves everything about our urban homesteading work.  We call her our little farm girl.


I hope to grow some great carrots, but this may be one of the cutest things to grace this planter bed.
Celebrating the placed carrot bed by doing a little dance in it.

Today Logan and Felicity transferred our composted Fall leaf pile to the mulch pile.  It was stinky work but they did great.  And we have some AMAZING compost!

Now the compost, full of HUGE worms, is mixed in to the mulch pile where it will speed up decomposition and make us some beautiful gunk.


At the bottom of our compost, we found TONS of HUGE worms.  The pictures don't do these buggers justice.  I have never in my life seen worms this big.  I'm taking that as a sign that we did good with our compost pile.


And there's our farm girl with compost smear on her cute cheeks, babying her worm.  She was afraid he'd fall so she kept her other hand hovering above her worm friend.

Here's a few big boys in my husband's hand, and he's not a small man.  These were not even the biggest ones.
All the worms were transported to the little carrot bed and CLOSELY inspected by Kian, who is yet to find the guts to touch one, but gets closer every day.

Seriously, can she get cuter?  I'm glad she's enjoying this work so much.  It gives us something to bond over, and something for her to take pride in.  We've needed that.

Little man trying so hard.

Today I planted nasturtium and a first batch of hollyhock straight into the ground.  Did you know that hollyhock flowers are edible?  Has anyone tried them? 
I also planted a lemon cucumber plant.  We wanted to do all seeds, but we couldn't find lemon cucumber seeds locally, so we went ahead and got a plant today.
I also planted just 3 little cilantro seeds into the little carrot bed.



I love all these sprouting shots, but LOVE this last one. 
Welcome to the world baby squash sprout.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Love Lemon Cucumber and cilanto. You are inspiring me to being my own garden this year; a small one of course.

    ReplyDelete