After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Play Quilt

My sister told me that when she has kids, she'd love it if I made her baby a black, red, and white play quilt.  During my second trimester with Arrow, I thought up a fun plan for such a quilt and decided to just get started on it.  I figured Arrow could use it now and whenever my sister had kids, it would go live at her house.  So I got busy.  Other projects, such as diapers and Arrow's "Mama quilt" took priority, but when I had a chance, I played around with the play quilt.  It was fun to make!  I dug through my scraps and my friend's scraps for red, black, and white prints.  I added in different textures; corduroy, velour, polyester, minky, cotton, fleece, satin, and terry.  I added ribbon scrap loops here and there, one even left over from my wedding 13 years ago!  I added pieces of old cereal bags under some of the hexagons to make them crinkle.  It was just a lot of fun.  Bed rest and some quilting issues pushed this project back quite a bit but I was able to get it finished just as Arrow was starting to like being on his belly a bit.  I was hoping he'd enjoy it, but wasn't getting my hopes up that he'd like it any better than any other blanket we set him on.  So I was thrilled when he DID respond to all the sensory stuff on this quilt.  He definitely enjoys it more than any other old blanket.  :)



 In this picture he found a hexagon that crinkles and is working hard to hit just the right one.
 
He's having lots of fun with it now, but I can't wait to see my sister's baby on this quilt one day.  Come on adoption process!!!!  Be quick!

5 comments:

  1. it's almost as cute as that wonderfully chubby baby of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever mama! As usual, B and T want to come play! SO DOES L!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun quilt! Looks like Arrow is thrilled whith his mama made blanket which is the best compliment od all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh this fabric looks familiar .. is this what judah's auction taggy is made from? i love this so much. i was at the toy store earlier today looking at their play mats (im going to have to give my peekaboo quilt back to my baby sister before we wear it out)

    ReplyDelete