After 5 years of being a stay-at-home mom, I found the wonder of mothering slowly starting to get crowded out by the mundane feeling. I realized our world seems to surround people with the negative, and complaining about blessings seems totally acceptable. So I decided to fight against that "normalcy" and focus only on the positive. I look back to my first year as a mom when everything was new and keeping house was fun and I aim to have that attitude again. This blog is my outlet to showcase the daily miracles that surround me in my blessed life as a stay-at-home mom so that I will never forget the wonder of it all.



Thursday, January 31, 2013

Garden Time is in the Air

Blogger again has been giving me troubles and I have SOOOOO missed this space.  I really hope that's the last bit of trouble I have for a while!

We are getting ready to plant around here!  We've spent some time tidying up the garden and it sure does look nice.  I hope this will be the year we have a jungle of plenty out there!  This year, I think we may combine permaculture, with a loose approach to the square foot gardening method. I'm hoping these two gardening methods together will benefit the soil in our raised beds and help us learn how to maximize yield on our small plot. 


Last year, my gardening goal was to grow Calendula and learn how to make salve from the flowers.  I was excited to meet that goal!  We in this house have terribly dry skin.  Even poor Arrow.  His baby soft skin only lasted 2 months before he started getting the same dry patches my Mom, Lissy, and I get.  The salve has worked great and we are all enjoying it, and I love knowing where most of the ingredients came from, but I have a quick question for you salve/oil making Mamas.  Coconut oil has worked wonders on all our skin and I use it on Arrow's sensitive booty at each diaper change since its cloth safe.  This year, could I just steep my calendula in coconut oil for a few weeks, strain, and just use like that instead of turning it into a salve with beeswax? 

 Harvesting her Calendula yesterday.  This bush was FULL!
 

I don't have a major gardening goal this year, but I'd love to give our backyard a bit of TLC and plant flowers back there that I'd like to experiment with.


This is how Arrow enjoyed the garden yesterday while Felicity harvested Calendula, I pruned, and the boys filled Jiffy trays with compost for our seeds.  He enjoyed this very much!

We have new bunny girls.  Hopefully these girls won't be diggers like our last ones, who finally all escaped.  Our friends needed to re house these bunny girls and we were anxious to have rabbit fertilizer, and bunny friends again.  Meet Loppy and Skippy.


I wrote a whole handmade holiday post weeks ago but Blogger wouldn't let me post it.  It seems too late now but I'd love to leave you with this picture of my four in their Mama made Christmas jammies because I was so happy to get a decent pic of the four of them together.

** Pants upcycled from our favorite old sheet set. **

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're back. I don't think it's too late. Post the holiday blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those matching jammies! Arrow is so big already-- wow!
    As for the coconut oil salve, I haven't a clue, but it sounds lie a great idea. I get cold sores, and coconut oil helps that immensely.
    Glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the new bunnies are really cute.
    glad you're enjoying your outdoor space so much.

    ReplyDelete